Argument: By depriving Tibet of independence, China damages its own image
- "Poll: Tibet policy hurting China's image internationally". Associated Press. March 19, 2008 - "LONDON: China's policies in Tibet are hurting the country's image internationally, according to a six-country poll published Tuesday as violent clashes in the region threaten to overshadow the run-up to the Beijing Olympics.
- A poll of three Western and three Asian countries shows there was widespread criticism of Chinese policies toward Tibet even before the current crackdown on protests began, according to the poll organized by WorldPublicOpinion.org.
- Large majorities in the three Western countries — 74 percent in the United States, 75 percent in France and 63 percent in Britain were critical of Beijing.
- In Asia, views were more varied. In South Korea, 84 percent were critical. In Indonesia, 54 percent were critical, though only 12 percent endorsed Beijing's position.
- However in India, views were nearly evenly divided, with 37 percent siding with critics, 33 percent siding with China and 31 percent not taking a position."