Argument: The state is justified in protecting society from drug-users
- "Drugs harm other people.
- Can cause traffic accidents.
- Emotional harms to family/friends. They can cause you to become a jerk.
- Harm to society. Users are less productive, worse citizens. Causes crime.
- The government should prohibit people from harming others.
- Therefore, they should prohibit drugs."
The Moderate Party (Moderaterna), which forms the major part of the centre-right alliance government of Sweden, advocates "Zero tolerance for crime", arguing: "Few things restrict people’s freedom as much as the consequences of violence, drugs and criminality in society." — The Swedish Moderate Party (June 2006). Zero tolerance for crime - policy summary published prior to the Swedish general election in 2006.